Sunday, December 22, 2013

My first Virtual Run

My training schedule today has me running 5K at 5K race pace.  It seems like it would just be a good idea to race instead, but unfortunately, there are no 5Ks available for me to run today in the neighborhood.  As I was looking around, I came across virtual races!  I've seen these before, but never really gave them much thought.  I thought "why would anybody sign up for a race that has nobody else in it?"

Then one caught my eye.  At Races For Awareness, I found a race that benefits Autism Speaks.  I had completed an awareness walk for them a few years ago as well.  Autism awareness and support is important to me as my nephew is autistic, as well as my good friend's brother.  I've seen many great times, but I've also seen some of the challenges presented when a family member is in the Autism Spectrum.  The more research that goes into this disorder, the easier it could be for many families out there!  And this year has been a great year for autism research!

So a little bit later, as the sun comes up, I'm going to run my first Virtual 5K!  By the way, the race comes with a medal and downloadable bib!

Wish me luck!
-
Results:  Here we are about an hour later.  No PR, but I'm still happy with my time.  I also found out that I'm in first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment